Connection as Purpose
- This is how goal-oriented communities are formed that bring about sustainable growth.
Two events that could not be more different have valuable messages in common:. In November and December 2022, we at 1000 Satellites, launched two new event series. First, on Nov. 25, 2022, we hosted our first “Culture Change” event focused on “Growth Mindset.” The goal was to stimulate an open discussion among a wide variety of stakeholders on the topic of mental growth – in companies and personally. On the other hand, works councils from the MRN region met for the first time on December 2, 2022 for an exchange at the Taylor satellite in Mannheim. Michael Ehrenberger from SAP SE initiated the network meeting and, together with works council colleagues from other companies, provided some valuable impulses and questions about what will move the world of works councils in the coming years.
Both events were the starting point for further events and the formation of communities. But as different as these events were, two key parallels emerged, showing that diverse companies face the same challenges:
First, the principle of “sharing is caring” was demonstrated in a new way. In the past, companies held back internal ideas, developments and learned insights for fear that competitors could tap into knowledge and obtain essential information. In the Culture Change event, SIEMENS AG, for example, clearly proved the opposite. On the other hand, the events showed how important it is to form communities in order to identify common challenges and to be able to make a lasting difference as a team.
- On the one hand, the principle of “sharing is caring” was demonstrated in a new way. In the past, companies held back internal ideas, developments and learned insights for fear that competitors could tap into knowledge and obtain essential information. In the Culture Change event, SIEMENS AG, for example, clearly proved the opposite.
- On the other hand, the events showed how important it is to form communities in order to identify common challenges and to be able to make a lasting difference as a team.
EVENT: Culture Change
on 25.11.2022 at Satellite Taylor-Mannheim & online
A “growth mindset” is the game changer for companies:
In times of increasing complexity and decreasing predictability, the most important thing for companies is to gain flexibility and to learn. Every day, organizations can learn from the feedback of their customers, from bad decisions, from wrong prioritization – if they listen and are able to implement what they have learned in the interest of the company and its values. This ability to learn distinguishes companies that are doing well from those that are doing poorly, those that are fit for the future from those that are not. The “growth mindset” describes this belief in one’s own ability to learn and to continue on the path from a culture of static knowledge to a culture of dynamic learning. To get to the bottom of this topic, the following presentations accompanied us throughout the morning:
- “New Work needs inner Work” by Dr. Joana Breidenbach.
- “Growing through Feedback” by Caro Windlin
- “Growing together through Growth Talks” by SIEMENS AG
So what exactly does it take to create an atmosphere for growth? A corporate culture that signals and lives trust and openness, that invites people to try out new things. The participants in our event themselves made this change in corporate culture clear, because there was a mutual openness right from the start. Thinking in silos and the fear of revealing too much is history. The value of sharing with others and sharing best practices, as well as mistakes made, is increasingly recognized and encouraged. This is the only way to turn failures into learning successes. We would like to illustrate this new “Sharing is Caring” principle with examples from both events:
- Two speakers from SIEMENS AG spoke openly about the (new) internal format of so-called “Growth Talks”. These involve a spontaneous exchange between two or more parties to give each other feedback or find joint solutions to open questions. These talk sessions are voluntary and can be implemented at any time, such as a walk during the lunch break. The interest of the Culture Change participants was clearly noticeable, as the presentation lasted over 40 minutes instead of the planned 20 minutes! This example shows the lived “Sharing Economy” of SIEMENS AG and what a “Growth Mindset” can achieve.
- At the works council meeting, participants shared future models they had developed themselves from their company agreements with the group, which led to valuable discussions about feasibility and communication. What was exceptional was the high willingness for external feedback and the focus on solutions, thus promoting a healthy error culture. Everyone had a common goal – to pass on knowledge, to give and take advice, and to think together in a forward-looking way to set up works council work for the future in a sustainable way.
EVENT: Works Councils Network Meeting
on 02.12.2022 at Satellite Taylor-Mannheim
New Work affects everyone.
We often look at the employee and employer sides, but now we wanted to give space for another perspective, that of those who are also heavily involved in future-oriented issues – the works councils.
Results of studies that converge in the “Future Works Council 2025” mean that the works council of the future is digital and well connected; it stands for appreciation and collaboration, is a strong courageous partner at eye level, bridge builder for the workforce and employers and a driver that recognizes digitization as an opportunity!
Therefore, on 02.12.22, together with Michael Ehrenberger, member of the SAP Works Council, we offered works councils from the Rhine-Neckar metropolitan region a space to talk about transformation steps for the coming years.
Many valuable ideas were uncovered and compiled during this morning. In this event, the openness and trust were also very quickly present and clearly noticeable. This is shown by the above-mentioned example of the “Sharing is Caring” principle. The kick-off event was to become a permanent event – this was immediately clear to all those present. The result was the emergence of a unique regional community, which wants to implement ideas together and full of motivation. We call this meeting Community Building – connection as Purpose. We would also like to illustrate the second parallel by means of both events:
- At the end of the “Culture Change” event, participants actively approached us and asked for networking among themselves. Thus, we went from being the host of the event to being the interface for the group’s further exchange. A follow-up workshop on the topic of “New Work” is currently being planned and will bring the same people and others together again. Participant:in cohesion was fostered through separate group discussions and strengthened by sharing self-reflection on the topic of “Growth Mindset”. Thus, unexpectedly, a diverse community emerged, which, following the motto “Grow yourself – grow togehter”, continues to work on the implementation of “New Work” ideas.
- Even though “networking” was the goal of the works council meeting, no one expected that the core of a (potentially) strong community would be formed directly. The participants not only collected ideas and challenges, but also came up with concrete solutions with objectives that will be reflected on and further developed in follow-up workshops.
In summary, it can be concluded from both events that the transformation of the working world is already well underway. We were more than impressed by the motivation and the results. Therefore, the regular coming together of different people is important to us, because we believe in the two principles.
We are happy to be part of it and to give the physical as well as mental space for such developments.
Your 1000 Satellites Team.